Friday 28 July 2017

Dark Chocolate Porridge


I always seem to struggle when picking out healthy breakfasts. I seem to gravitate towards sugary cereals which I know aren't good and only keep you full for an hour or so. I went back to the drawing board and came up with a new idea...

...Dark chocolate porridge!

Porridge, firstly, is healthy! It is high in fibre, improving digestion and lowering cholesterol. The oats, also, allow for a slow release in sugar and energy, keeping you fuller for longer and stabilising your blood sugar levels.

 I make my porridge with almond milk, which is lower in calories, and contains far less fat than cows milk. I find it gives the porridge a more creamy texture too. 

Then comes the dark chocolate. It not only tastes great, but has numerous health benefits. Research has shown that it can have protective effects against cancer and heart disease, as well as lowering cholesterol and improving cognitive function. To me, it seems like a no brainer to add a square or two of dark chocolate into porridge instead of adding sugar or syrups!

The recipe below has taken me several attempts to master, but I think I have finally perfected it!

Ingredients
- 30g oats
- 200ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1-2 squares dark chocolate (the higher % coco solids the better)

Method
- Heat the milk and oats in a pan, once they start to boil, stir until the consistency thickens
- Pour into your favourite bowl
- Add the chocolate and stir until melted
- Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment